logo

Watermelon: The Superfood for Men

by Charles Weller March 08, 2019

Watermelon: The Superfood for Men

Watermelon is not only a popular thirst-quenching fruit on a hot summer day; research shows that watermelon can also help in staying health, especially for men.

Nutritional Content of Watermelon

Watermelon is made up of 92% water and loaded with potassium, and vitamins A and C. The remaining 8% of watermelon is lycopene, which is the highest concentration found in any vegetable or fruit. 

Benefits of Watermelon for Men

 

Improves Blood Circulation

Watermelon rind is loaded with L-citrulline, an amino acid that helps increase blood flow when converted to L-arginine and then to nitric oxide. Nitric oxide increases dilation of blood vessels, with low levels of nitric oxide associated with sexual dysfunction.  Nitric oxide helps lower blood pressure to reduce risk of heart disease, which is the number one killer of men.

Assist in Better Exercise Performance

The high water content along with electrolytes (choline, magnesium, and potassium), makes watermelon a great post-workout snack for men wanting to prevent dehydration and replenish nutrients. The magnesium and L-citrulline may help reduce muscle aches and increase exercise performance and recovery.

Promotes Healthy Prostate

Researchers once believed that tomatoes held first place in lycopene content, but watermelon holds the highest concentration of lycopene in any vegetable or fruit. Lycopene is a carotenoid that has been shown to encourage a healthy prostate. In a study, researchers noticed that men who ate 5 or more servings of foods rich in lycopene each week had a significantly lower risk of developing prostate cancer than men who consumed less than one serving a week.

Improve Digestion

The high dietary fiber and water-content found in watermelon is useful in promoting regularity for healthy digestion to prevent constipation.

Creative Ways to Eating Watermelon

From watermelon fruit salads to popsicles, there are fun and easy recipes to enjoy to reaping the benefits of watermelon for men’s health.

  1. Sprinkle spices and citrus to spice-up watermelon slices.
  2. Turn watermelon chunks into a cool and delicious soup.
  3. Grill watermelon wedges and drizzle with honey lemon sauce.
  4. Flavor your water or lemonade with watermelon chunks.
  5. Pickle watermelon slices and stack them into cooling cucumber sandwiches.
  6. Make watermelon ice pops.
  7. Blend watermelon into smoothies.

Related Posts

2 Day Juice Cleanse
2 Day Juice Cleanse
I recently did a juice cleanse in which you drink one gallon of juice per day for a two day period. The two gallons o...
Read More
Fitness Challenge Ideas
Fitness Challenge Ideas
Fitness challenges are a great way to stay in shape during the Summer. Here are some great fitness challenges to look...
Read More
Wellness Wednesday Tips
Wellness Wednesday Tips
Tips for living a healthier life start with taking action. As life returns back to normal, it's hard staying on track...
Read More
Sauna Therapy 101
Sauna Therapy 101
Does sauna therapy actually work? The answer is yes! Did you know that sauna therapy helps to liberate toxins stored ...
Read More
Beauty Trends: What is CoolTone?
Beauty Trends: What is CoolTone?
There are lots of beauty trends out there right now such as Coolsculpting and Cryotherapy. But, have you heard of Coo...
Read More
Wellness Wednesday Tips
Wellness Wednesday Tips
Another Wellness Wednesday is almost in the books. How are we doing on our 2021 goals so far? Today, we are going to ...
Read More
Is Overhydration A Thing?
Is Overhydration A Thing?
I made one of my New Year's Goals to drink more water. I've been drinking about 80 or more ounces of water per day. T...
Read More
Self Care Ideas To Use In 2021
Self Care Ideas To Use In 2021
We know 2020 has been rough for everyone, and we are hopeful for a brighter 2021. Here are some self care ideas to br...
Read More
Healthy New Year's Resolutions & Goals
Healthy New Year's Resolutions & Goals
2021 is right around the corner. Some of you maybe writing down your new year's resolutions or goals. Here are some g...
Read More
10 Healthy Holiday Tips
10 Healthy Holiday Tips
Holidays are usually enjoyable. Here are 10 tips to help you have a healthier holiday season: Don’t skip meals. Ski...
Read More


Charles Weller
Charles Weller

Author



Also in Men's Health

Dietary and Lifestyle Habits that Promote Healthy Testosterone Levels
Dietary and Lifestyle Habits that Promote Healthy Testosterone Levels

by Charles Weller January 20, 2019

Beginning Your Gluten-Free Diet
Beginning Your Gluten-Free Diet

by Charles Weller June 27, 2013

Gluten-Free Diet – Should You Be Following One?
Gluten-Free Diet – Should You Be Following One?

by Charles Weller June 19, 2013

close-icon